Sunday, February 20, 2011

Week 1 Coming To A Close

I have my first week of training under my belt.  This week was  supposed to allow you to get into a routine, identify where you are going to train, set some structure.

I did fairly well though I have not integrated biking yet.  That is going to be this weeks task; add a few spinning classes.  My excuse, my biking shoes are in my car and each morning I forget to get them.  I hate spinning in sneakers, so much harder. I also need to purchase a road bike, something I have been avoiding since it requires research.

My week consisted of a few early morning swims, evening runs and cross training with my bootcamp classes.   I take a running class in Central Park to help me train for the first phase of my challenge, More Half Marathon.  This week I was introduced to the wonders of 800s Tuesday and on Thursday the joy of running up Cat Hill where the objective is to run fast enough that you feel like you will puke at the top. When you get to the top, you turn around, run down and do it again.   Best part is I did this after a morning bootcamp that focused on non stop leg work for 30 minutes.   I kept thinking....you are only getting stronger. I did impress myself with not being too sore.

My biggest concern right now is my sleep or lack of it.  I am burning the candle at both ends. Thankfully, I have been blessed with a little more energy(some may call it hyperness) than most.  Growing up, my mom used to say that I never sat still and was always on the go.  It has finally come in handy, allowing me to make it through most of the week. I just dont know how long it will keep me going.   Hopefully soon I will get my act together to figure out a plan to move into the city.

Since January I have been getting up twice a week at 420 to catch the first bus into the city.  I thought adding three more days would not be that much of a change.  What I did not think of was that I needed to add my night work outs in with the fact that I have been leaving work around 630-700 on non running class days and coming back to work for an hour or so on class days.  That means that I am out the door at 435 in the morning and back between 930-1030 at night.   By Friday afternoon my energy wanes.  I realized this when I was having a conversation with a co worker, Head of Internal Communications of all people,  at 5:00pm and I realized half way through my sentence I forgot the purpose of the conversation.  I just looked at him and said I was pooped. 

This is the part where you may think I am a real ass.  After the paragraph above and if I told you i was taking a 8:00am class in Union Sq Saturday , I am sure you are assuming that I would head home after work.   In my true fashion, I proceeded to push myself a little more and go out for happy hour.  It is the part of me that is trying to maintain a normal life that gave me a push.   Sadly I lasted for one glass of wine and some pizza and then realized that if I did not leave them, I would be sleeping on the sidewalk.

I have quickly realized the actual training, pushing my body through the different ativities is the easy part. It is trying to juggle the rest of my life that is going to be hard.  I want to do it all and had the unrealistic expectation that I could do it all.  Slowly I am starting to look at what I need to pull back or change (like the city move) so that I do not wear myself into the ground.

Hopefully like everything else I do, I will fall into a routine.  Things will get simpler and I will figure this all out.  I have 19 more weeks to get it right.

No comments:

Post a Comment