Saturday, February 12, 2011

So, how did I get here

I like to exercise, be active, be on the go, but how the heck did I go from light exercise to sitting at a restaurant with the words "yeah, I will do the half triathlon with you?" 

First step:  Last October, frustrated with how I felt about myself, the 5lbs I gained over the summer and the fact that some of my clothes did not fit, I joined a bootcamp in the city.  I did not know that this class would change my way of life.  The first month of the class I struggled but I started to see signs that I was getting stronger.  By month three, I dropped 26lbs of fat and gained 7lbs of muscle.  And you know what came with that......my fitness.  Each week I got stronger and stronger and challenged myself to see how far I could go.  I started in October running a slow slow 2 miles to being able to run a fast 6 miles at the end of December.  I was inspired by what was happening to me to keep pushing to see what else I could do.  Now I am hooked.

Step 2:  Now that I was feeling good, I wanted more of a challenge for myself.  I convinced 3 other girls at work that were looking to get into shape to sign up for the MOREWomens Half Marathon.  At this point I was up to 7 miles....so yeah I could do this. 

Step 3:  Bring in Alexandria.  You get paired up in bootcamp with a partner each session.  Alexandria was mine in January.   We spent the month talking after class and emails on how freaking starving we were during the day.    I was feeling pretty confident on my running  abilities, I was up to 8.5 miles at this point.    One night, celebrating the completion of our class, I mentioned to her that I wanted to do a Triathlon. I was thinking the Olympic since it was the next step after a Sprint which I have done.  She said 'yes, so do I but I want to do a half'.   I looked at her like she was crazy but she said 'you will be able to run 13.1 miles, you will be fine to to a half.  What is stopping you from doing it?   i sat back and thought for a little bit.  I had no answer other than.....you will never know how much you can push yourself until you try.   And with that I am Half Ironman Trainee.

No comments:

Post a Comment