Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Ready or not, Redbank here I come!

Wow, I woke up this morning so excited for the weekend.  This  weekend I will finally become a Triathlete.  I have done a few Sprint Tris but moving up to the next level is pretty cool and where I consider you can label yourself a 'triathlete'.   Any name with the word 'Olympic' in it allows you to brand yourself.    If you are wondering the distance for this one:  .75 swm, 25 mile bike, and 6.2 run.

Am I ready?  Well....prepared, yes.  I have all the course maps printed out, map quested my drive down, and planned what I want to eat the night before.   My packing list is drafted on the back of the race info sheet with outstanding items highlighted in pink.  Yup, another label that you can put on me, is big dork.   At least I will be a less stressed dork.

Ready, no clue.  I think I will be able to finish but I am not sure any of the times will be close to what I originally wanted. Lately when asked what I want my time to be, my answer has been just to finish.  I have refused to set any expectations or pressure for myself.  I am sure the night before with how competitive I am, I will start to do some calculations.  For now, the goal is to finish.

These last few weeks have been a struggle for me. I experienced my first injury two and a half weeks back that has pretty much sidelined me or limited the amount of activity that I have been doing.  Frustrated has been a common word that I have muttered and I probably have not been the best person to be around.   There may have been a few fuck offs to people that were trying to make sure I remembered I needed to get better before I pushed myself.  

One nice thing from the rest is that my legs feel stronger.   My runs have been easier and times lower.   The rest did me well in more than a few days.  I am so bad that when I realized this, I wanted to push myself harder to get even faster.  I stupidly tried to get a super quick run in on Monday, then Bootcamp right after.  I ended up with an extremely sore left hammy yesterday morning, not good.  I wore compression shorts under my pants at work yesterday.....a true sign that I am crazy.  

So, training is not 100% but this is only one step in the entire plan.   I still have the Half in July that I am getting ready for and I have to be smart on how much I can push myself now.   My plan is to do nothing other than one light run tomorrow , then the race.  Next week we will see, I have the Brooklyn Half Marathon but will only run if my leg is 95% there.   Focus will be getting back to 100% for the rest of the summer.

So for now, its off to Red Bank.........

No comments:

Post a Comment