Sunday, May 22, 2011

Red Bank Pics

I forgot to put up pictures from Red Bank the other day so this is a little over a week old.    We had a great weekend and Red Bank was the perfect race to complete my first long distance triathlon.  There were about 300 people total and everyone was super friendly.   I am now hooked on the Olympic distance and have already looked for a few others to do this summer.  Somehow, through work this week, I was able to get into the NYC Tri in August and we found one in Freeport, ME (LL Bean shopping!) in September. 

https://picasaweb.google.com/Booper12/RedBankTriathlon?authkey=Gv1sRgCPLD_9m897DkFQ&feat=directlink

The race itself was so much fun.  I was up at 4:30 to have some coffee and my oatmeal and we were out the door at 6:15am.     Transition was open at 6:30, so I got to set my stuff up, check out what others were doing and have time to relax a little.    The weather was a little nasty but thankfully the rain held off until after the race.

So, 8:03 the swim began and oh boy!  This was the most interesting part of the race.  If you have never swam with a bunch of other people in the open water, it is almost a no holds bar event.  You are kicked, pulled under and yelled at.  The whole time, you have to just keep swimming.  I decided to try to avoid as many people as possible, I swam on the outside.  The only issue with this was that I constantly off course and had to circle back.  After about 15 minutes, I got some space and was able to enjoy the swim.   For the first 15 I was thinking, why am I doing this?

The transition did not turn out to be that bad.  I took my time, sat down, put my socks on and got ready for the bike.  I was a little disoriented gettting out of the water so taking it slow was good.    Then the bike - this was the part of the race that I have to say I disliked the most.  It is mostly because I suck at the bike and because it seemed like it took forever.  The only highlight from the bike was that about mile 5, I had the realization that I was actually doing the Tri and I got a super proud feeling come across me.  I went through how much has changed in my life and how only in October last year I could run about 2.5 miles at a 10:00 pace and look what I was doing now.  Funny because now the Olympic seems like an easy distance but back then, if you asked me if I would do it, I would say that you were crazy.  

Then my favorite part of the day - the run.  This was the portion I was the most worried about.  I heard about the pain you would get after transitioning from the bike.  I knew I was an ok runner but it was not until this race that I realized that I was a fairly strong runner.   The first 2 miles were ok, I just did not feel my feet. I used my arms to push me through.  Then mile 3, I warmed up, picked up my speed and took off.  It was great passing people and with each person I got more and more confidence.  I was hoping to average at least 9:00/miles when I started.  There were no mile markers so I did not know how fast I was going.  When I got to the half way point, it was only 24:30 on my watch which I was average about 8:10/miles.  I was excited and could not believe I was running that fast.  On the way back I decided to play a game and pick a person that I would pass.  This made me run a little faster and kept me going.  I think I passed about 15 people on the way back.   When I got to the end, it was 50:07 and I freaking ran my faster 10K - 8:03/mile.  And this was still being partially injured.    Overall, I completed the whole race in under 3 hours...yippee!

So with the Half Marathon and Olympic Tri done, next on the docket is the goal of all goals:  Half Ironman.  Not sure that I want to even think about this right now or panic will set in!

And if anyone is wondering, yes, I am biking today!  Actually going to try a brick if I can.  Leg is great and I am a little crazy :-)   Plus not working out for 3 days is making me bounce off the walls.

No comments:

Post a Comment