Thursday, April 28, 2011

Shipping off to Boston, Kale Muffins and Learning to Adjust to What Life Deals You

I am not relly sure where April went.  I cannot believe that the More was almost a month ago and Redbank, my first entry into the real triathlon world is only three weeks away.  Yeah.....i am not starting to panic just yet!    I did try to do my first brick the other where you bike then run right after.  It was not too bad but I could have been a little smarter and chose a little easier of a bike workout.  My legs were dead for the run, it was like I was running but I did not feel my legs for the first 10  minutes.  

Heres an update on the crazy weeks of April

Boston:  I went up to Boston last weekend for the first time in  about 7 months, my previous trip being right before I started Slim and Strong and really my change in life style.  Before that, I was heading up there almost every few weeks since I moved the year before.   The break was self imposed to force myself to create a life in NY rather than hybrid life that I was living.

I will admit I was pretty nervous last week not knowing how my friends would react to my new life style and how I would react to being back in an environment that involved drinking, eating, and going to bed later than I was used to.I was concerned that somehow during the trip I also needed (well wanted) to make sure I got a long run and long bike ride in.  At home I can stay structured but going away, I lose a little control so I worried how I would do

Turns out that my worry was for not....going back was like going home.   Nothing changed and I was so happy for that.  I fell in step right away and it was like no gap at all.   I learned that my friends will always be my friends and even though I changed, they'll accept it and support it. 

I was pretty psyched, I was able to fit it all in.  Thats a lunch at Staples, Red Sox game, 35 mile bike and experiencing my first flat tire, Pizza and Peroni, Beerworks, drive to Bristol RI, 6 mile run and finally lunch with Cat.   I did have to pull over and take a 45 minute nap on my way home  but other than that the weekend was great.    I hit a great balance of being able to relax with my friends and making sure I got some sort of workout in.

Kale Muffins:  Most of you know my obsession with kale.  I absolutely love it and eat it at least 5-6 times a week.   Sometimes I will eat it for lunch and dinner.  I have tried to get my family hooked on the veggie but to no avail.  I made kale chips for Sunday dinner over the winter thinking they were the greatest thing.  The only one that ate them was my little 5 year old niece.  So, when asked what kind of cake I wanted for my birthday, my sister joked, 'how about a kale cake'.  I was all over this and thought it was a great idea and challenged my mom to make one.  God bless her, she came up with something even better, Kale Muffins.   These little suckers were fantastic and I had one a day for a week straight. I even got Lauren hooked on them.  She had three to take home and rationed them over several days.  Even better than that, she found the recipe on a blog called 365 Days of Kale.   Now I can read about others that enjoy this green as much as me.  Heres the link if you want to check it out.  They have some pretty cool recipes:
http://www.365daysofkale.com/

Just Got To Deal:   Funny how things in your life make you realize how lucky you are.  I will be the first to admit sometimes (well most of the time) I run around so much that I do not take the time to appreciate as much as I should.   A few weeks ago, something happened to make me realize how freakin lucky I am.

I spoke a few entries back that I lost my voice while being sick.  Well, my voice never fully returned, and after several doctor visits and more tubes up my nose than any person should experience, I learned I had unilateral vocal cord paralysis.  Basically my right cord does not work properly, making my voice hoarse all the time and barely audible when out.    It was caused by the virus I had when I was sick and there is a 50/50 chance I will recover. 

I spent the first 10 hours after learning what I had feeling sorry for myself.  I got extremely frustrated when I was out or in a meeting and everyone said 'I cant hear you or WHAT'.  Though I was healthy for a few weeks I still got comments that I was still sick and needed to take care.    So all I could think about was how unhappy I was during these times and I was going to have that all the time...ugh.

Finally around 5 that night I was reminded of a pep talk that I heard before one of our running classes.  It was about learning to appreciate what you had.  When you have a bad day....remember that there are others out there that worse off. You will get through those days and be back to youself.   That thought snapped me out of my pathetic sorriness.  I realized that holy crap, I am so lucky.  Things could have been much worse, I could have full paralysis and no voice or the cause of why this happened could have been much worse than the virus.  In the end...all that is wrong is that a weaker voice. Many have called this my new sexy voice.

The best thing from thing is that I just started to look for ways for me to adjust.  For meetings, I have been booking rooms with microphones so I can facilitate, I bring paper or my phone when  I am out, always ready to write something down, I have cool ways to turn my head to be louder, and realized that I have support all around me to speak up when I cant.

Maybe because I have needed to constantly look for ways to adjust....this has followed over to everything else that I am doing.  My mindset for everthing has be deal.  Figure out a way to adjust.  Instead of stressing because I am not following my training plan to the T, I have been saying 'what else can I do, how can I do things differently.'    Every day things change now rather than the rigid structure I was trying to follow.  And, god its nice!    A lot easier to be relaxed and enjoy all of this than always concerned I was off or missing something.  

No comments:

Post a Comment