Saturday, April 2, 2011

MORE is Coming

My first half marathon is tomorrow.  Surprisingly enough, I have not been nervous or anxious. I think that it may be the two beers (my Strawberry beer!) that I had for our late lunch or the grilled pizza that has put me into a little bit of a food coma.   I knew that I potentially would start to stress out so to keep my mind occupied I invited Lisa, Susanne, and Lauren over for a late pre run lunch.   We got to take some time out and enjoy ourselves before the race.   We lucked out with the weather and hung out on the porch, ate some pizza, steak and kale chips, and I got Lisa and Lauren hooked on my strawberry beer.  It was a great way to kick off preparing for the run.

I am sure when I try to close my eyes, I will start to get excited and have one of those restless nights.    For now, I am taking time to relax and reflect on all the hard work and time I have put in to get in shape to do this.    I thought it was fitting for this entry to talk on three people that have helped me get to where I am today.  Something that I never thought would be possible.

My Running Buds - Lisa and Susanne:   I used to never want to run with anyone.  I always used the excuse that I liked to listen to my music and let my mind wander.  Really I was afraid to keep up with others or to be pushed faster than I wanted to run.  At the start of my first running class Lisa and Susanne discussed trying to run on that Sunday for the long run (6 miles at the time) we had to do.  Apprehensive at first, I decided that I was going to join them.  This run formed our friendship and running bond.

For the next several weeks the three of us started to run with each other every Sunday, 9:30, starting at Columbus Circle.  We have run through the freezing cold, snow, and pouring rain. We show up because we know that the other ones will be there.   If it was not for them, on the days where the weather was crap, I am not sure that I would have gone for my run otherwise.  At the end of the runs we head out for brunch and reward ourselves with a nice breakfast and spicy bloody mary (mimosa for Susanne) or sometimes to grab lunch at Wholefoods.

We have made a good group, each of us working to get better in different areas: Lisa on hills, Susanne getting faster, and me, learning how to pace myself and run longer.   On the days when one of us is not in the running mindset, the other two are there to pick them up and push them to get the run done.  We spend the runs chatting about our week, our stresses/joys and pointing out every possible bathroom on the 6 mile route around central park.    These Sunday long runs that used to be boring and I could not wait to be done with have turned into something I started to look forward to and enjoy.   I know that I have two buds that I can count on to be there to support, challenge, and push me, and have made me a better runner.  Thank you guys, you rock.
Taken on a rainy Sunday run.  We were completely soaked at the end of the run.

My Running Coach - Terence:  What can I say about Terence?  Until him, I had never met someone who right away knew how to push my buttons and say the right things to get the best out of me.  He is the one that originally coined that I thought I was 'Superwoman' - never wanting to tell him when I was tired or pushed to my limit. His actual words were for me to 'Take the S Off My Chest, I don't always have to be a super hero.'  I did deserve this a little bit since I teased him alot that he may be over confident at times ( my words may have not been as nice as this).   I am sure you knew what this comment did to me.....other than piss me off a little, it just pushed me harder to show him that I could run. 

I owe a whole lot of how far I have come in the past few months to him.  He taught me how to run like a runner, think like a runner, and train like a runner.  He is the one that got me excited to run and want to look forward to class, to see how much farther I would get.  Along with coaching he has been there to hear me vent on anything and everything, especially in the last few weeks when I have not felt myself and my frustration had got to a boiling point.  He listens and then offers his bits of advice and support that have helped me calm down, not stress out as much, or made me just relax.    Plus, he is now my personal DJ, supplying me with all the running and commuting music that I person could need.   Thanks Terence for being you and helping me become a better me.

No comments:

Post a Comment