Sunday, March 6, 2011

Week 3.....slowly things getting easier

Ahhh....my routine has finally set in and it feels great. I welcomed  back a missing part of my life, my energy.  I was back to myself for the majority of the week and did not need the extra cup of coffee in the afternoon.  The only time I dragged was Tuesday morning in class but I changed up to eat a little before class and Thursday I felt better. 

I think that I may even had more energy than normal.  I  know this because one of my good friends at work commented on my superwoman aura.  Granted this was after I bumped into him in the kitchen while I was running to a meeting.  He is on his health kick (which I am happy to say I influenced and we talk on everyday) and proudly showed me his instant maple oatmeal he was having as a snack.  In my rush (remember, I was running to a meeting), I yelled 'What are you doing!!!!!! That has so much sugar, thats crap.  Better to eat a candy bar'.   He promptly dumped the whole bowl in the compost bin and just stared.  I continued to try to explain in less than a minute that he had to read the packages and impact sugar has.   Then I told him I had to run.   I left him standing there. As a side note, I did go over later to talk to him and explain more calmly what I meant and how I was more concerned he thought he was eating healthly....but making things worse. 

On the training front, I have fallen into the routine of m,t,th,f early morning and night workouts and using Wednesday as my slight recovery day where I only do a night work out.   This has been working out well but just my luck, this week I needed to schedule a weekly call with Asia/EMEA.  Guess what day I chose?  You guessed it, Wed, 6-8 am.  So add another 450 bus ride into the city on Wed to my week.   Hopefully this is only for two months.  At least I should be able to leave earlier and sleep well Wed night.   I love how things keep changing to keep me on my toes, just what I need.   And yes, I have been working on moving to the city.  Got a realtor and started to map out a plan.  And I have been so lucky to have my father helping out figuring out financing options and what I am supposed to do.   Probably more than lucky.....extremely fortunate.

Swimming has turned into the activity I love this most. Maybe it is because I am brought back to the memory of being a kid, swimming laps at practice or the peacefulness of hearing nothing but your own thoughts for 45 minutes.  It is where I think of most of my entries.  The NYSC pool has turned out to be not so bad. I have made friends with the lifeguard Rafeal and he saves me a lane each morning and tries as much as possible to make sure no one else comes in it.  He told me he likes me because I can swim.....so less work for him.     The timing of my swims are great.  I have been pushing my legs a lot on Tues/Thurs with bootcamp and running, it is great to stretch my legs in the water the mornings after.  Friday,  I timed my 1.2 mile (119 laps) and its about 27.5 minutes if I counted correctly.  Afterwards, I looked up some swimming times online...and that seems to be an average swimming time. I am happy to know I do not need to focus so much on it.

I started to bike.  Spinning classes at the NYSC are worst than swimming. Everytime I call, the class is already booked.  I did find something cool.  Most gyms have a 'trainer' that simulates a spinning class.  Its great and I can choose my own music and have the volume as loud as I want.  I have found that the Pandora station of the Ting Tings is the best to ride to.  It plays different beats and songs are awesome.    Alexandria is in town this week so we may try to test out Soul Cycle.

For the first in all my training and actually since October and my first ever bootcamp, I was sore, extremely sore in my left leg and butt.  This was from a combo of leg work Thursday morning and hills at night.  I felt it while running the hills but just went a little slower.  I kind of wished I just stopped now.  Friday, I was sore when I woke up and my morning swim did not help.  I biked lightly that night and spent 30 minutes on the foam roller hoping it would loosen and go away. Saturday was a little better but not great.  I took it easy in class and spent another hour with my foam roller after.    Thank god I woke up today better, just a little tight.  I was able to run my long run (11 miles) at a fairly good clip and felt no pain.  Just a little sore now but will spend some time stretching when I get home.

I am excited to say that we added another girl to our Half Triathlon 'team'.   Lauren Key from my old night bc class is going to join us.   I am super pysched to have someone else doing this.   That makes 5 from BBBC.     Also, Alexandria and I found our Olympic Triathlon that we are going to do for our practice run.  It is on May 15th in Red Bank, Jersey.  Not too far away so it will push us to train hard.   We got two down, now we need to find our Sprint race to make the plan complete.

Looking forward to this week and getting in a bunch of non training activities.   I have an Abita beer class Wed night at Idle Hands(my highlight of the week), two co worker's birthday celebration Friday and my little nieces BD party Sunday.  Training is going to be crazy but I will do the best I can.  I think I will need my afternoon cup of coffee! 

3 weeks down, 17 to go.

3 comments:

  1. I think that beer class is much deserved after all the work outs. Great job, Rebecca. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. You must be enjoying yourself because this blog is easily the most communication I've seen from you since ever. Keep it up, and get to that 1:54 mark. I just hope that when you come visit us in April that you take a little break from all this (because you are certainly not slacking), and ENJOY YOURSELF!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Trig - Ha....I love it. This is the third time this week you've told me this! I am not that bad, I just posted an entry on WGO. Just cause it takes 5-10 business days to get back....whats the big deal. And yes, I am planning to enjoy my visit but warning, my tolerance has dropped, learned that the other night.

    ReplyDelete