Friday, March 11, 2011

Finally, A Day Off.....Well Kind Of

Before you read this, two things so you dont think I am crazy:   1.  Below is not a normal day, I dont push my body that much  2.  I know I need more rest/sleep - I am working on this.     With that, enjoy.

I took my first full day off in a long time.  I actually did not realize how long until I tried to think of the last time and I could not remember.  I do take a day off from running/swimming/biking but have been trying to get yoga,  bootcamp or lifting in on those days.  I know I should take more full days but I have no time to get those things in.  With this one, I was determined to give myself a day off from everything, my structure, my workouts, and worrying about my diet.  It felt great.

The day actually started off feeling like a workout.  Trying to get in for a 615am call is a lot harder than I thought.  I forgot that I had to actually get dressed for work at home.  My wakeup time was 355 and I was out the door running up the hill to the bus at 440.  Not sure the bus driver recognized me since I looked fairly nice.  He is used to seeing me in my pjs. 

Due to a cab driver that drove slower than my father, I got to work at 6:03 and I ran around to make my oatmeal and espresso.  My day started to turn up when I saw someone putting the bananas out as soon as I was got down to the kitchen.    And I was happy I did not have to do the dancing I normally do while making breakfast, trying to avoid everyone else, the kitchen was sparse. 

Rest of day went well, crazy enough I actually had energy all day.  I had back to backs all day so I never stopped to feel tired.

At 6:00 the fun started....Beer Class.  Calling it a class may be strectching it.  Basically you got a bunch of beer and listened to someone from the brewery talk about each one.  Our table was not the best at paying attention.  We were a good group:  Marla, jet lagged from flying back from Paris the night before, Mamie who was getting over being sick, Chris and Jon who had worked late the last few nights plus me, with my voice that sounded like Marge Simpson's sisters (Marla's description) from facilitating requirement sessions all week.   Lets say we were a hit with the speaker. 

I had come for one thing and one thing only: Strawberry Beer. It has been all I have talked about since we chose the Abita Brewery.   I was pysched when the first bottles they pulled out were the nice green labels, my Strawberry beer.  This beer is only out one month a year.   One sip and I was happy as a clam.   They even gave me an extra pour since I told them it was my favorite beer.  We got to try a whole bunch of their other beers.  They have a really good IPA and one called Restoration Ale. 

They put out dinner, chicken wings and vegetables and hummus. I decided to be healthy and eat the veg and hummus.  Dont ask why it did not cross my mind that trying to eat healthy went out the door after the 5th beer.  At least it is the thought that count, right?

The rest of the night was fun.  I was on the 10:50 bus and in the door by midnight.   I even packed my bag for class in the am with intentions that I was going to make it.  I guess after a few beers you think you can do anything.

4:20 did come, but I did not get up.   One look at the clock and I rolled over.   I slept in til 7:00 and god, it felt good.  

Being off was great.  It let me stop, relax, and think on non training things and remind me that life is not only training or work. This may seem simple to most but sometimes I forget this with my structured life and always moving from one thing to another.  Stepping away from my routine let me see how well my balance has been.  And yes, I will be first to admit it needs some work!

Here is a pic of the beer if you want to look for it.  I did try to take people pics too but they all came out like crap.  Not sure any of the folks would be happy for me to put them up.   Next time


2 comments:

  1. Becca! A Simpson's reference in your blog! (I was so proud until you fessed up to it being someone eles's).

    Glad you got your Abita Strawberry. My sources at the Fat Cat tell me that because it's not typically on the menu and no one ever asks for it, you might just be able to get it year-round there. So remember to ask when you come up.

    Speaking of beer, the American Craft Beer Festivaly is on June 4 this year. The day of my exam. Those b@stards. Glad you enjoyed your day off!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you finally took a day off! Proud of you Bec!

    ReplyDelete