Monday, August 1, 2011

I've Got a New Challenge...Well Challenges

Its been a while since my last post.   I think that the last few months finally caught up with me and I needed a break from everything.   As much as I hate to admit it, May, June, and July were a struggle for me.   I look back and cannot believe that I completed everything that I said I  would do.  That includes the Half Ironman....the main purpose of this blog.   I wont say I am happy with how I did but I finished and throughout the whole process learned everything that I could do better for next time.  Its funny, at the end of the race I said I would never ever do it again but now I am already planning when to do my next one.  I want revenge and to hit my goal of under six hours.

So now that I have had some down time I decided I needed a new set of goals to keep me going.  The first one is my short term challenge and the second is my currently unachievable partly crazy goal. 

Short Term:  Eat vegan for a month.   I made the move to stop eating meat a few months ago in efforts to help me recover faster with my training.   I pretty much was eating 90% vegan with the exception of whey protein powder and a few eggs.  I wanted to go full vegan as Thrive said to do but was extremely worried where I would get my protein and did not want to make the change right before the race.    I did spend  lot of time reading about becoming a Vegan, started to visit a lot more Vegan restaurants (which are freaking awesome) and took out a bunch of cookbooks from the library to figure out what and where I could get my protein. 

I decided last week my focus for the next month or so was to get my strength back.   I wore out my legs so bad training for the Half that even with twice weekly PT sessions they barely held up to cross the finish line.    As part of that, I signed up for Bootcamp for August.  (very excited that Ariane brought back Hardcore!!).    Then came my idea to go vegan for a month.  It is going to be my experiment to see if I can get enough protein and still limit my carbs to keep my body fat % the same and not decrease my muscle mass.   I have read all over that it can be done, now I am ready to see first hand if it is possible.   I am determined to show any of the opponents of vegan eating that it is possible to still enjoy food, cooking, and remain at the same fitness level.   Maybe I will inspire one of you to try it too.

Crazy goal:  Qualify for the Boston Marathon for 2013.  There, I have finally put it up.   Some of you have heard me say this for the past few months now I am making it official.  Oh, I should tell you that I have not run a marathon yet!   So yes, I am truly crazy.    My plan is to get my leg 100% better, run my first marathon in March, then pick one closer to September to run to qualify.  This seems doable on paper but we will see.    Slowly I am working towards this and as I mentioned above getting healthy and strong enough to actually do it.   Though this is a crazy one, this is one goal I am going to hit. 

2 comments:

  1. Good luck with the vegan challenge. It is definitely going to be difficult to get your protein without soy. I have a feeling you'll figure it out though.

    I'm starting to look toward doing my first half ironman, do you have a general idea when your next one will be? I'm thinking sometime after October, as I have 3 more halfs and a full to get done by then.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are amazing! I know you set goals for yourself for a reason, but don't be disappointed- you're accomplishing so many great things. Don't ever undermine your accomplishments.

    Good luck with the vegan test. I need my eggs and cheese :) But I hear ya. There are some things that can be eliminated or consumed less of to make us all feel better.

    ReplyDelete